Saturday 22 November 2014

Cut Me Open and Sew Me Up Baby

Hey what's up. 
I've got stitches up my chin that's what's up.


Okay disclaimer: I'm actually allergic to blurry and low quality Samsung front camera pictures, but I really don't want my HD camera (whose name is Benjamin btw) to traumatize you with the lurid details of my stitch. 

Now let me give you the story.

____________________________________________________

So once upon a time, the paranoid protagonist observed there was a lump of growth at the edge of her chin. What was worrying is that it had been growing in size over the years. The last straw was her observing another spot just above it to be growing as well. She had often heard her mum saying that the mouth area is a 'danger triangle zone'; it sounds drama and all but she properly meant it has many nerves there or smth. 

So after much hesitation, I decided to just get rid of it once and for all. I went to the doctor in National Skin Centre and after some poking and scrutinizing, the diagnosis was INTRADERMAL MELANOCYTIC NAEVUS. I promised these would be the only uncomprehendable English words that ever grace this blog. 

Anyway, she told me I would properly have to undergo INCISION, which with my very poor demand of English translated into 'okay so a sharp object or knife and some poking/slicing actions will most likely be involved'.


Boy I was wrong.  

On the day of surgery (19th Nov), I heard the word 'SEW' for the first time when the doctor came in to brief me and my mind went blank from there. I laid down onto the bed and after two injections of localised anesthetic (where I was tightly squeezing the poor hands of a very kind nurse throughout). My lower lips started to feel weird and suddenly I GOT A GREEN CLOTH COVERING MY FACE! 


I WENT LIKE: OMG. WHY NEED TO COVER MY EYESSSS... *shaky voice*
DOCTOR: This is our procedure, dont worry you still breathe properly


My fear meter exploded at that very second.

It's like YOU JUST DONT GO AROUND COVERING A PERSON'S EYES WHEN YOU HAVE CUT THEIR FACE UP.



I properly looked like the above, but trust me, I felt more like this:




So I totally froze and my heart went racing.
And then I started to feel BEING CUT (harmonized by the crisp cutting sound from scissors ) and a BEING SEWN SENSATION. 

guys, you would never understand this fear unless you go through it yourself. 


I was trying hard not to faint and distracting myself by making a mental note to start exercising soon cos now I am certain I dont ever want to go through cesarean in the future. I was also busy cancelling out my long accumulated desire to get a nose job COS NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO SEW ME UP AGAIN!!!

When it's done and I was given a mirror to look at it, I just cried. Though it's more like blinking hard to get my tears back, cos you dont want to be remembered as a wailing 23-yr-old by the 5-7 people in the room. Then the doctor asked me if I wish to send the tissue for further examination and she showed me this PINKISH LUMP OF FLESH OF A FINGERNAIL SIZE


Imagine raw chicken breast meat 
Now add more blood to it.

_________________________________________________________________________

Now the trauma is over. And the cut and the stitches actually look quite neat to me.
I'm glad I made the decision to get this worry off my mind but I wont ever forget my first experience of bring sewn. UGH. 

If you want to take a close look, here it is.

l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
I am giving you lots of lines here to avoid having to stare at a detailed picture of the stitches. So please leave now if you are not into sewn human flesh. 
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l
l


okay. 
still gross now.

If Halloween is a week/month-long festive, I could have easily go out without a plaster and get 'most realistic makeup' award.